Thursday, December 1, 2011

Interviewing Mickey Avalon


Last week I did a phone interview with glam rapper Mickey Avalon and prior to the phoner, I was getting really excited over what I expected to be a dynamic interview.

When I got Avalon on the phone, I was kind of disappointed in how the interview went. I haven't seen him perform live, but in videos, Avalon takes an in-your-face kind of approach. He has been known to wear heels, feathered boas, makeup and dresses. He often performs without his shirt on showing off his "Thank You," tattoo right above his groin and in interviews, he says that particular tattoo is paying homage to all of the pretty women he has been with.

Avalon is not known to hold back in his music or in his performances. He says what he wants, when he wants and could care less what anyone thinks about it.

But when I talked to him, he was busy driving to Beverly Hills and was distracted by other people in the car and whatever else was going on around him. He seemed to have a hard time staying focused. I was hoping for a lot of energy and maybe some swearing and details on his rock n' roll lifestyle, which he uses as subject matter for his music. That didn't really happen though.

I was disappointed. However, our lack-luster interview made me that much more curious about seeing him perform live. He plays tonight in Salt Lake at In The Venue, and I have prior commitments otherwise I would be there.

I do have friends going though and I can't wait to hear what they say. I am hoping what Avalon lacks in conversation, he makes up for on the stage. Because despite my experience, I just cannot imagine him being boring.

Check out the article here.

No comments:

Post a Comment