Wednesday, January 16, 2013

In my mind, I'm a hot chick who sings and plays the guitar


When I was little, I used to think that I was going to grow up and be a singer. I think most young girls believe they will one day be famous. We can't help but think that way considering we are bombarded from the moment we enter this world by fame. From television stars to movie stars to musicians...we see them everywhere and are somehow made to believe that they are better than us because they are famous. And well, we care because we pick up the magazines, read the articles, watch the interviews and try our hardest to look like them. And I am not going to deny that my fascination for celebrities is just as strong as it was when I was a wee lass (even if that is embarrassing to admit). So yeah, it makes sense that my goal was to grow up and be a singer.

My slant though, was that I was going to write my own songs and play the guitar. I was going to be the edgier Jewel. Clearly, that never happened. Now in my 30's, I still find myself imagining that I am the one on stage at a concert. I picture what my outfit would look like (leather pants of course), and imagine that I am playing a glittery pink guitar while singing to an arena full of admiring fans. Then I come back to reality and realize that I am the admiring fan and I don't even know how to play the guitar.

I guess its time to give up on my dream of being a famous singer. I mean, I did try out for American Idol when they held auditions in Salt Lake a few years back and I didn't even make it past the first round. I still sing but now its mostly to my cat and dog and sometimes I am not sure how they feel about it. I used to sing to my sister's cat and the cat would get this crazy look in her eye and attack my leg. That may be a sign.

Despite my failure to become a professional singer/songwriter/guitar player, I cannot help admiring those who have made it. Who took the time to learn how to play their instruments and really worked to get to where they are. On a 13-hour plane ride to Taiwan I watched the documentary on Katy Perry and gained a whole new respect for her. She never gave up, no  matter how hard things got. And look at her now. Same with Lady Gaga and Nicki Minaj and the list goes on. I guess I just didn't want it bad enough.

A couple of years ago, I interviewed a female singer/songwriter who really left an impression on me. She hasn't made it as big as some of the other celebs listed above, but she is talented. And beautiful. And has tattoos. And I love her voice. Christina Perri is who I am referencing and I strongly suggest checking her out. If I can locate the story I did on her, I will be sure to add it. I just discovered that she will be playing in Salt Lake on February 1 as part of the To Write Love on Her Arms tour. I missed the show she played here when I interviewed her nearly two years ago, so, I may just have to go see this one.

And this time, when I am watching her play the piano or guitar and listening to her sing and wishing it was me, I will make myself feel a little better at least knowing that I spoke with her once and sometimes, that is good enough.

Check out the song Christina Perri did for "Breaking Dawn part 1." As a Twihard, I love it for many reasons!


No comments:

Post a Comment